Are you making the biggest mistake treating your LGBTQ clients? Are you pushing them to “come out”? And if you are .. you could be traumatizing your clients.
Like you, I made the same mistake early in my career of forcing my clients to name and claim their sexual identity.
Like you, I didn’t know how to ask them about their sexual practices. And when I tried, I offended them.
Come to my workshop and I will equip you with the right tools and up-to-date information you need in this rapidly changing population to more effectively counsel your lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning clients, and couples.
You will learn specific strategies to better treat the unique challenges your client may be facing such as:
- self-acceptance and internalized homophobia
- non hetero-normative sexual behaviors and practices
- trauma and abuse from growing up LGBTQ
- the difficult process of coming out
Also, let me help you avoid the common mistake of believing, “a couple is a couple” and treating LGBTQ couples the same as their heterosexual counterparts.
Don’t be the straight therapist that is losing LGBTQ clients because of poor intake, assessment and treatment planning. Learn how to offer your clients a safe place for therapy.
I look forward to meeting you at my workshop!
Joe Kort, Ph.D., LMSW
- Asses psychological trauma of growing up gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning.
- Recognize the specific and most common stages of coming out to accurately assist your client.
- Differentiate common misdiagnosed mental health disorders and assessments.
- Use specific interventions and assessment tools for LGBTQ clients and gay affirmative therapy.
- Distinguish using interventions that work and don’t work for different generations.
- Discuss contemporary perspectives of Lesbian and Gay couples.
- Formulate strategies for LGB couples on compatibility, incompatibility, frequency and satisfaction.
To read more about Dr. Kort’s upcoming PESI talks click here. Or click on the dates above.